Wednesday, December 19, 2007

THe Bowling Source

In seventh grade my father brought me to the Madison Art House Cinema to see a new documentary by a film maker who had sparked my interest when I saw him on Oprah. The film make was Michael Moore, and the movie was Bowling for Columbine, a movie that would launch my interest into politics. A move that would have more of an effect on the direction of my life perhaps more so than any other media source. With out this man's courage and undeniable film making technique on addressing violence in America I may never have found my own courage to find answers.
Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine would become the second highest grossing documentary of all time, only to be second to his later film Fahrenheit 9/11. It would receive multiple awards, including an Oscar and be featured on over 100 top ten movie lists. However most importantly it would spark a conversation in America about gun violence. Most importantly, people would begin to feel comfortable about talking about Columbine. To think about that day.
His official website has become a one way ticket to slew of information encouraging people to question what is going on. For those who claim him to be a man who manipulates facts to fit his own opinion he opened a page on the site for each of his films, presenting the irrefutable evidence.
For my paper I will use his BFC Fact Check page, which uses sources from all over the media and government, both pre-BFC and post. This will inevitably prove to be a valuable source for this topic at hand.

2 comments:

Miller said...

Grady: this is an interesting, personal account that ties into your research paper. And it looks like a solid spot to start some of your research.

Just remember to keep your idea and writing focused so your topic does not get too unmanageable.

Miller said...

Only two of the four required posts are completed. What is it exactly, you are going to write about? Stay focused.